Seth Godin always gives me so much to unpack. Here’s a quote and check his interview on This is Marketing.
“What it means to have a brand is that you’ve made a promise to people. They have expectations. It’s a shorthand. What will I expect the next time. And if that is distinct, you’ve earned something. If it’s not distinct then let’s admit that you make a commodity.”
For me personally there are plenty of questions
- Are employees just a commodity? (Hopefully not)
- Am I personally a commodity? (Hopefully not!)
- Therefore, should I have a personal brand? (Yes!)
- What is my personal brand? (Someone who shares unique insights)
- Is my personal brand distinct? (Hopefully yes!)
- And will I have to make these sessions every week forever? (Yes!)
So what’s your personal brand?